Indigenous Language and Culture-Based Education
Indigenous students account for approximately 25% of enrolment in Yellowknife Education District No. 1. YK1 is committed to the enhancement and promotion of Indigenous education to meet the needs of Aboriginal students and benefit all students.
YK1 Strategic Direction: To ensure all students and staff are engaged in Indigenous Languages, perspectives, and culture-based education.
- To integrate culturally relevant learning into instructional programming.
- To increase the offerings of the Wíílídeh language.
- To ensure all schools reflect Indigenous Language and culture.
- To engage all students in Indigenous cultural experiences.
- To increase the number of skilled instructors of Indigenous Language and Culture-based education.
- To strengthen relationships with Indigenous communities.