Yellowknife Education District No. 1 is pleased to provide a summary of the documentation needed to apply for YK1Substitute Teacher placement. A description of the process and Substitute Teacher expectations are also outlined for your review.
The Substitute Teacher Application package (1.10 MB PDF file) can be downloaded by clicking this link. Application packages are also available at the District Office (5402 Franklin Avenue in Yellowknife).
For further information on substitute teaching with Yellowknife Education District No. 1, please review our Substitute Teacher Handbook.
Substitute Teacher Application Form
- Forms for income tax calculations:
- Direct Deposit Form - be sure to include a 'void' blank cheque
- Certified teachers only: To ensure correct placement on the teacher salary grid, certified teachers require ‘proof of experience' from previous schools and a Teacher Services Evaluation Form.
- Please contact Human Resources for clarification on the information required in these documents.
The process and subsequent expectations:
- Provide completed documentation to Human Resources at the YK1 District Office.
- HR will email or fax "Reference Check" questionnaires to those on your reference list. You must provide a maximum of 3 references with email addresses or fax numbers, telephone numbers are not deemed acceptable.
- Once HR receives the Reference Check forms, your application will be complete and ready for the approval process.
- If your application is approved, you will be notified and provided with a list of schools and their individual contact people. You are encouraged to touch base directly with the contacts at each school, as these are the people who arrange substitutes for their teachers.
- Your contact information will be placed on the Master Substitute List and regularly distributed to the schools.
- NOTE: The school makes direct contact with their substitute teachers - District Office HR is not involved at this stage.
- To ensure pay cheques are accurate and on time, each time you sub be sure to sign the 'sub time sheet'before leaving the school. Failure to complete this form will cause a delay with your pay.
- Information regarding rates of pay and pay cycles available from Christine Osborne, Accounting Administrator.
- To apply for susbtitute teaching, be removed from the substitute teacher list, or to change any information on your application, contact Stacey Scarf, Manager, Personnel Services.