Maria Montessori believed that children possess a unique sensitivity and intellectual ability, allowing them to absorb and learn from the environment. The Montessori classroom is a “prepared environment” where the child is free to discover, learn and understand concepts that develop the lifelong learner. The materials, scientifically developed by Montessori, are arranged by subject on child-size shelves and invite the child to interact with them. Through this interaction with the materials, classmates and adults children are able to reach their intellectual, emotional, spiritual and physical potential.
NWT Montessori Society Philosophy: NWT Montessori Society is an inclusive, non-denominational school enriched by the ethnic diversity of our students. For over 30 years the school has had proven success in providing a nurturing and stimulating environment where children can grow and develop intellectually, emotionally, and socially, while developing a life long love of learning. With a strong commitment to education and to the community of Yellowknife, and with a clear vision for the future, the Yellowknife Montessori School will continue to serve the community of Yellowknife for many years to come.
Areas of Learning
- Practical Life
- Through practical life exercises, children learn to care for themselves, one another and their environment. They help develop concentration, coordination and independence.
- Materials in the sensorial area allow the child to analyze and explore. This helps them broaden and refine sense perceptions.
- Math materials and manipulatives allow for concrete experience with number concepts. The children are introduced to the quantity 1-10 and progressively 1-1000.
- Language exercises nourish the child's vocabulary, enhance self-expression and develop a foundation for reading, writing and listening skills.
- Science, History, Geography, Art and Music introduce the child to the world and the living things within it.
- The curriculum also includes programming in languages and physical education.
The NWT Montessori Society foresees the operation of several programs in the City of Yellowknife.
- The Yellowknife Montessori School – Located downtown is comprised of two Casa Classrooms for ages 3 – 5. The Society also offers another Casa classroom located at the NJ Macpherson School.
- Montessori Public School Program - The Society also devotes its time to continuing the Montessori Education and has progressed into the Public Montessori School Program in partnership with YK1. The program operates from the NJ Macpherson location and offers Montessori Kindergarten, Lower Elementary for ages 6 – 9 and Upper Elementary Classes for ages 9 – 12.
- Summer Camp – Annual Summer Camp programs runs through the months of June – August for ages 3 – 10.
NWT Montessori Society offers:
- Full Time program: 8:30 am – 3:15 pm
Extended Care Options are also available:
- Early Morning Care: 7:30 am – 8:30 am
- After School Care 4:00 pm – 5:30 pm
The main objective of NWT Montessori Society is to provide a carefully planned, stimulating environment which will help children develop within themselves the foundational habits, attitudes, skills, and ideas which are essential for a lifetime of creative thinking and learning.
The specific goals for the children who attend the school are:
- Hands-on learning approach through exploration and discovery
- Builds respect for the earth and the world around us
- Curiosity is encouraged
- Non-competitive environment
- Fun with languages, fitness and music
- Builds self-confidence & independence
- Teaches children love of learning
- Lessons are tailored to child, not the age
- Builds a foundation for lifetime understanding of key concepts through tactile approaches
- Intellectually stimulating environment carefully prepared for your child’s success
Frequently Asked Questions
Pathway for Montessori Programming
Pathways for English, Montessori and French